Current:Home > FinanceVendor that mishandled Pennsylvania virus data to pay $2.7 million in federal whistleblower case -Capitatum
Vendor that mishandled Pennsylvania virus data to pay $2.7 million in federal whistleblower case
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:18:22
A large staffing firm that performed COVID-19 contact tracing for Pennsylvania and exposed the private medical information of about 72,000 residents will pay $2.7 million in a settlement with the Justice Department and a company whistleblower, federal prosecutors announced Wednesday.
The Pennsylvania Department of Health paid Atlanta-based Insight Global tens of millions of dollars to administer the state’s contact tracing program during the height of the pandemic. The company was responsible for identifying and contacting people who had been exposed to the coronavirus so they could quarantine.
Employees used unauthorized Google accounts — readily viewable online — to store names, phone numbers, email addresses, COVID-19 exposure status, sexual orientations and other information about residents who had been reached for contact tracing, even though the company’s contract with the state required it to safeguard such data.
State health officials fired Insight Global in 2021 after the data breach came to light. A subsequent federal whistleblower lawsuit alleged that Insight Global secured its lucrative contract with Pennsylvania knowing that it lacked secure computer systems and adequate cybersecurity.
The whistleblower — a former Insight Global contractor — complained to company management that residents’ health information was potentially accessible to the public, according to the lawsuit. The company initially ignored her, then, when pressed, told the whistleblower “it was not willing to pay for the necessary computer security systems and instead preferred to use its contract funds to hire large numbers of workers,” the lawsuit said.
It took Insight Global five months to start securing residents’ protected medical information, according to the U.S. Justice Department.
“Contractors for the government who do not follow procedures to safeguard individuals’ personal health information will be held accountable,” Maureen R. Dixon, who heads up the inspector general’s office at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, said Wednesday in a statement on the settlement, of which the whistleblower is set to receive nearly $500,000.
Insight Global, which has about 70 offices in the U.S., Canada and the U.K., has previously acknowledged it mishandled sensitive information and apologized. The company said at the time it only belatedly became aware that employees had set up the unauthorized Google accounts for sharing information.
A message was sent to the company Wednesday seeking comment on the settlement.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Aaron Rodgers made suggestions to Jets coaches during victory over Eagles, per report
- Horoscopes Today, October 16, 2023
- Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $400 Shoulder Bag for Just $112
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- UN Security Council meets to vote on rival Russian and Brazilian resolutions on Israel-Hamas war
- PG&E’s plan to bury power lines and prevent wildfires faces opposition because of high rates
- Pan American Games set to open in Chile with many athletes eyeing spots at the Paris Olympics
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- What to know about Elijah McClain’s death and the cases against police and paramedics
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Ja'Marr Chase Always Open merch available on 7-Eleven website; pendant is sold out
- The Commerce Department updates its policies to stop China from getting advanced computer chips
- Israeli officials identify 2 Hamas leaders it says are responsible for attack, backed by Iran
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan says U.S. working on safe passage of Americans out of Gaza into Egypt
- Bills RB Damien Harris released from hospital after neck injury, per report
- How much is that remote job worth to you? Americans will part with pay to work from home
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
A Thai construction magnate convicted of poaching protected animals gets early release from prison
Mandy Moore Reveals What She Learned When 2-Year-Old Son Gus Had Gianotti-Crosti Syndrome
After Goon Squad torture of 2 Black men, Mississippi sheriff trying to escape liability
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
As Biden heads to Israel and Jordan, aid is held up for a Gaza on the verge of total collapse
Putin begins visit in China underscoring ties amid Ukraine war and Israeli-Palestinian conflict
President Biden condemns killing of 6-year-old Muslim boy as suspect faces federal hate crime investigation